Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Shelly Seeks Seashells on Seychelles' Seashore

If you know me, you know I've been dying to use that alliterative title for months.  Finally!  We also been anticipating our first trip to the Seychelles for months . . . some say these are  the most beautiful islands on the planet.  After one day here, we'd say they're right.  The azure blue Indian Ocean, the forever vistas, the gorgeous sunsets, and the wonderfully welcoming people make this a very special place.  Why, you may ask, are we here in the middle of the week?  Well, my new employer ordered me to be here.  You may recall that the US Embassy in Mauritius is also the US representative in the Seychelles.  I was ordered to come here to be the United States representative monitoring the Seychellois legislative elections which take place over the next three days.  Also, I'm meeting some of the civic leaders and government officials with whom I deal on a regular basis.  My other boss ordered me to take her with me, since this is the island nation of honeymoons (including, famously, Prince William and Kate, who honeymooned on North Island, the silhouette of which we can see from our room).  So we're staying in Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove, a resort in Beau Vallon, on the north end of the main island.  Shelly spent the first day touring the capital city of Victoria, while I was in meetings all day.  After a walk along the 3 mile stretch of beach, and some sea shell shopping we're ready to rest up for another day of this tough assignment.  More reports on Shelly's Seychellois Seashell Shopping Soon!
Hermit crab on Beau Vallon beach

2 comments:

  1. hi dave- will van dorp here . . . peace corps cameroon 75--77. congratulations on your new position. i'm loving your blog. please do keep it up. maybe i'll come visit mauritius. you missed a great set of parties this past weekend in DC.

    ReplyDelete