

Went snorkeling the last couple days---the Indian Ocean was calm and inviting, and our scuba gear has not yet arrived. The variety and beauty of the coral and fish is really remarkable. I'll post some pictures of them later. But the creature that took my breath away was the hawksbill turtle I swam with. Shelly was watching from the shore and said it looked like I was swimming in a circle---I was! I gasped when I first saw him, not believing my good fortune. Then, I followed my new friend wherever he wanted to go. He was so graceful and elegant, effortlessly propelling himself along the shallow ocean bottom and coral reefs. These pictures are borrowed from online, but they show what it was like swimming with this guy. According to National Geographic:
"Like other sea turtles, hawksbills make incredible migrations in order to move from feeding sites to nesting grounds, normally on tropical beaches. Mating occurs every two to three years and normally takes place in shallow waters close to the shore. The nesting procedure begins when the turtles leave the sea to choose an area to lay their eggs. A pit is dug in the sand, filled with eggs, and then covered. At this stage the turtles retreat to the sea, leaving the eggs, which will hatch in about 60 days. The most dangerous time of their lives comes when hatchlings make the journey from their nests to the sea. Crabs and flocks of gulls voraciously prey on the young turtles during this short scamper. Like many sea turtles, hawksbills are a critically endangered species due mostly to human impact. Hawksbill eggs are still eaten around the world despite the turtle’s international protected status, and they are often killed for their flesh and their stunning shells. These graceful sea turtles are also threatened by accidental capture in fishing nets." After a half hour together, he had worn me out, and I came ashore. I was energized, and happy with the hope that I can go swim with my new friend again. I also became an instant environmentalist, hoping that none of my human friends buy any tortoise shell anything ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment