Sunday, October 2, 2011

Victoria, Seychelles: A Capital City!


Happy young Seychellois

Kenwyn House
Visitors by the Ocean
I confess to being a bit of a wonk when it comes to cities.  Maybe even a snob.  Comes from having worked in and around city government so long.  I'm constantly looking to see how efficient, clean, safe, and easy to traverse cities are. I'm also watching for how they enoble the human spirit and celebrate a people's history and successes.  Imagine my delight when I found all of these great qualities in one of the world's smallest capital cities:  Victoria, Seychelles.  Population: 20,000. It's clean, efficient, historic, walkable, and very people friendly.  While I worked, Shelly spent Wednesday out on the town with her camera, and captured the beauty and the spirit of this fine little capital.  There are well maintained historic buildings, a vibrant and colorful market, a compact and efficient harbor, a botanic garden (with dozens of giant tortoises), and schoolkids on field trips.  We ate in a couple nice restaurants, and got business done quickly in banks and government offices. All in all, it's a great town . . . and remember, even though it's smaller than most county seats, Victoria is one of the world's capital cities! 


Dozens of street sweepers
Tuna and other fish for sale

Cool Offices


We counted 25 tortoises
@Botanic Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment