Thursday, October 18, 2012

U.S. Election: The World is Watching

David Teaches Mauritius High School
Class About U.S. Election 2012 
I was in the Port Louis central market earlier this week . . . there's a vendor who sells sandwiches---about once a week I buy my lunch there.  The sandwich maker wanted to talk about the U.S. election and the presidential debate.  He asked me if I thought President Obama would do better in this week's debate than he did in the first one.  NOTE:  this is a sandwich vendor in a market stall on a small island in the middle of the Indian Ocean!  Wednesday, just after the second presidential debate, I gave a presentation about the U.S. elections to high school students at College des Mascareignes.  I brought my Powerpoint and all my notes, and they asked me tough, up-to-date questions. ("Would a President Romney continue the Obama policy of killing people remotely with drone strikes?")  Two weeks ago, I met with the Seychelles Attorney General 90 minutes after the first presidential debate (5:00 am to 6:30 am local)---and he had watched the entire debate and was ready to talk about it.  Tomorrow evening, Shelly, our house guests and I are presenting a panel discussion about the elections to a community group.
My point is, the world is watching this U.S. election.  It makes the news practically every day, and usually leads the news.  There is a sentiment here that the result of the election will have real consequences for the rest of the world, and it certainly will.  None of the Mauritians or Seychellois get to vote, however, and it is difficult to explain to them why a normal 60% voter turn-out in a Presidential election is considered good in the U.S.  Shelly and I have already voted from overseas.  We encourage our friends and family to do the same.  Get out and vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment