Saturday, September 1, 2012

Helping Children in Court

Faculty and leadership of the conference and the Mauritius Institute for Judicial and Legal Studies
I had a wonderful week working with the Mauritius Supreme Court and running a training program for the entire judiciary in the country (judges, magistrates, and court administrators) on how to help children who are in the criminal justice system as victims and witnesses.  The U.S. Department of Justice offered a grant that brought a judge and prosecutor from the United States as faculty.  As program chair from the U.S. Embassy, I had to put together all the administration of the program, and worked with the Chief Justice and the other members of the Mauritius Supreme Court to print manuals, make arrangements with the conference site, and handle all logistics and finances.  It was an excellent program, and will greatly benefit the children and their families who happen to be involved in court processes.  As a lawyer myself, it made me very proud to be part of a movement to expand the rule of law and enhance justice in this country.  I had to pinch myself to realize that I was running a program that included nearly every member of the judiciary in the entire country.  I love this job!  

Court Administrators from all over Mauritius

The Judges and Magistrates of Mauritius

Deliberations during the conference

No comments:

Post a Comment