Friday, June 15, 2012

Sunday Morning Market

It is 6 am and the market is in full swing!
Plenty of bananas for the week











In the next town over, every Sunday morning at 6 am we go to the fruit and vegetable market.  Local growers and backyard gardeners bring their fresh produce, and we stock up for the week.  For the equivalent of about $15 we get two oversized shopping bags filled with potatoes, onions, eggplant, cucumber, tomatoes, eggs, okra, lettuce, and tropical fruits of all descriptions.  Sometimes, I stop a while and carry on my "marketplace Kreol" --- a patter of words and phrases I  repeat over and over each Sunday . . . "are these fresh?" "how's your family?" "is that really your best price?" "I think it's going to rain today" By 6:30 in the morning, the week's shopping is done and we're home putting away the food, and scrambling up some "laid yesterday" eggs.  The start of another great day in Mauritius!


Bring your own egg carton and get them fresh


Our favorite fruit vendor expects a visit every week

1 comment: