Went to the doctor yesterday in a medium sized town 20 minutes from our house. About 10:00 am, I called for an appointment---fine, come in at 3:30 this afternoon. Doctor with medical degrees from excellent schools in France and England. Showed up on time, doctor greeted me at the door, and took me right into his office. Got my name and birthdate, and started asking about what was wrong. Told him, he took a look. Told me what it was, and how he would treat it---gave me a prescription, and I was out the door in 15 minutes start to finish. Paid the receptionist on the way out . . . 1100 rupees total (US$33.00). Drove down the street to the pharmacist, prescription about US$15. No waiting. Total episode done in 30 minutes for less than $50.00. My head was spinning from the simplicity and affordability of it. Yes, I have insurance, and I will send in my receipts for reimbursement, and they will be paid. Doctor's not involved in the insurance claim or whether there is coverage. This was actually my second trip to a doctor here (all small things), and the first experience was as simple and inexpensive as this one, and it was at a very good hospital. I suppose I could go on and on contrasting this to our experiences with medical care in the States, but you get the picture. Simple. Fast. Affordable. What's not to like??

No comments:
Post a Comment