| Shelly at Carnaval Embassy of Trinidad & Tobago |
| Mousse dessert at Coco Sala Restaurant |
Some of you out there may be wondering how in the world Shelly is dealing with leaving her professional life running a school and huge educational programs, and becoming (in Foreign Service-speak) a "Trailing Spouse". Is she staying at home watching TV and eating bon-bons? Sleeping all day? Bored to tears? The Answer: None of the above. I'm here to tell you she's doing just fine. Some days, she's way busier than I am, and maybe as busy as ever (including her past work)! She's been the one to figure out and deal with the State Department bureaucracy when it comes to moving household goods, transporting our dog, Bailey, health and dental plans, and investigating what life in Mauritius will be like. She's also become a trusted friend and companion to several of the other spouses and Foreign Service Officers: babysitting for some, advising on education for others, and taking others on furniture shopping trips. (My classmates and teachers are constantly telling me how wonderful my wife is!) She's also busy doing things she rarely had time for: Bikram Yoga 2-3 times a week, weight lifting another 3-4 times a week, and . . . get this . . . cooking!! As I write this, she's getting us ready for a BBQ dinner with a family who will be working with us in Mauritius. Her daily regimen also includes taking an intensive French class online and in-person, along with reading everything she can find about our new home on the island. She's hosted house guests from Albuquerque, and organized elegant dinners in our apartment. She also keeps up with our far-flung children, calling and sending care packages. She's also planned some great museum trips and visits to interesting sites in the DC area, everything from riding Segways on the National Mall to spending a day at an outrageously great Korean spa.
| Shelly the babysitter for a grateful diplomat couple |
Shelly convinced me (without much trying, I must admit) that we needed to get our SCUBA certification before we leave the States, so next month, we start and finish a series of classroom and diving classes, with a culminating weekend of dives on her birthday!
You may already know that we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary the day the movers drove off with all of our belongings from our ABQ home---now we've got a great start on the next 25. I am so lucky and blessed to have such a great Trailing Spouse leading the way. Love ya, honey!
| On our balcony in Crystal City |
I know you wear alot of hats, Shelly, but this one takes the cake!! So glad everything is going so well. You do sound busier than ever!
ReplyDeleteTake care...thinking of you both...
Love,
Barb
This is fun, following your adventures! I'm so happy for both of you!
ReplyDeletelove, Sukey
I'm not surprised at any of this, but I'm a little skeptical about the cooking! I'd be careful of that one, David. But, wow, does it sound like you are having fun! So excited for you! BTW, we had our trip to Vienna, Prague, Bratislava and Budapest- it was fabulous! Thanks for all the helpful hints, I learned how much I have to learn about these countries- it was buth fun and educational.
ReplyDelete