Shelly and I continue to learn more about our new responsibilities overseas each day---as the Political/Military Officer at Embassy Port Louis, I will have responsibilities in the US Embassy in Mauritius. If you look at the map, you will see that just to the north of Mauritius, there is a group of islands called the Republic of the Seychelles---approximately 115 islands in the Indian Ocean. As it turns out, the US Embassy in Mauritius also represents the US to the Seychelles. Apparently, I will be REQUIRED to travel about a week a month to the Seychelles to work on matters there. (I know, you feel sorry for me.)
If you read the news these days, you know that this area of the world has had huge problems with piracy on the high seas, particularly by the Somali pirates. This problem is being met with a multi-national approach to law enforcement, and has a growing international coalition of governments and businesses working together. I expect to have some responsibilities with this problem, working as a diplomat in the area. So, lest you think it will all look like this:
I'm here to tell you that there is hard work to be done on behalf of the Nation and World, right there in the Republic of the Seychelles.
We get there in August; make your reservations for our guest room now!


Hey David & Shelly,
ReplyDeleteAunt Mildred forwarded your blog to me....so glad...I have been thinking of you & wondering how your new adventure was going!! Now I know!! Can't wait to hear more!! Enjoyed reading Heather's also... a chip of the old block, huh?? Damon is too busy at school to post anything, right?? :) Take care & know you have a very proud cousin here in Las Vegas!! Love you all, Barb