Saturday, April 30, 2011

Port Louis, Mauritius!!!!

Friday was Flag Day, and we got our first assignment in the Foreign Service to Port Louis, Mauritius!  Beginning in August, 2011, I will be the Political/Military Officer in the U. S. Embassy there. 
Shelly and I are thrilled with the assignment, and we look forward to getting there and starting work. I will spend the better part of this summer here in Arlington taking classes, including French, before we leave.  Shelly is hoping to take some French language classes as well. 
We hope you will find these resources to be helpful in learning about Mauritius, if you are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritius
http://mauritius.usembassy.gov/
The island of Mauritius is renowned for having been the only known home of the dodo. This bird was an easy prey to settlers due to its weight and inability to fly, and became extinct less than eighty years after the initial European colonization.
Oh, yes, the Republic of Mauritius also has some nice beaches and water sports.  As you can see from the map above, it is located in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar and the southern tip of Africa. 
We also understand that the season from January to April is very wet, and the rest of the year is drier.



So, at this point, we don't yet have a definite departure date, but it appears we will be in the DC/VA/MD area until at least August. 
We look forward to hearing from you!

David and Shelly

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog, David and Shelly. Did you go through Missouri on your way? I was there visiting my mom and attending a memorial lecture in my dad's name April 9-12. It was beautiful at the time. Hope all's well. Will send the announcement of your assignment to Mauritius as well as this blog address to members of Le Groupe. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave and Shelly,

    Thanks so much for including me on this message. I'm eager to learn more about the new adventure. Looks like a lovely place in many ways but I'm sure it will be challenging. I think of you often.

    Fondly,

    Marijo

    ReplyDelete